History, Culture, and Modernity (HCM) Postgraduate Essay Competition
In order to recognize the work and further the careers of early-career researchers, the International Journal of History, Culture, and Modernity (HCM) has established a Postgraduate Essay Competition / The winning essay will be published in HCM (subject to external peer review) / All submissions must be sent by 1 November 2017.
International Journal of History, Culture, and Modernity (HCM)
In order to recognize the work and further the careers of early-career researchers, the International Journal of History, Culture, and Modernity (HCM) has established a Postgraduate Essay Competition.
The International Journal for History, Culture and Modernity (HCM) is a peer-reviewed journal that offers a global perspective on modern culture and its history since 1750. The winning essay will be published in HCM (subject to external peer review).
– The essay competition is open to any postgraduate student (masters or doctoral) registered at a university or research institute.
– We welcome essays from all disciplines, including history, art history, cultural studies, geography, politics, theology, anthropology, literature, or film studies. The essay topic must pertain to the scope of the journal by addressing the themes of history, culture and modernity, preferably putting them in context with present-day issues.
– The text of the essay must not exceed 8000 words (excl. notes and bibliography).
– The submission must be in English.
– Previously published manuscripts are not eligible for consideration. No essay, in whole or part, should be submitted for publication elsewhere before the winner is announced.
– The winning essay will be read selected by a jury made up of members of the HCM editorial board.
– Considering the HCM criterion of publishability, the jury will evaluate the essay based on originality, scope, and depth, the extent of contribution to current historical understanding of the topic, as well as style and presentation.
– The decision of the jury is final and HCM reserves the right to not award a winner.
All submissions must be sent electronically as an email attachment to HCM@uu.nl by 1 November 2017, including the author’s name, address (including e-mail address), institutional affiliation and degree registration.
Drift 6, 3512 BS Utrecht, The Netherlands